The New Smyrna Mill (also known as the Cruger and DePeyster Sugar Mill) was built around 1830. It was a major sugar and syrup processing location that burned to the ground during the Second Seminole War. When archaeologists unearthed many religious artifacts such as alters, candlestick holders and various crucifixes all over the property, many began to believe that before its days as a mill, this site was the location of a chapel built by Christopher Columbus himself during his second voyage!
Covered by dense woods, the ruins and surrounding forest have been dubbed “enchanted”. There are many reports of visitors seeing spirits of Seminole warriors running and hiding in the heavily wooded areas at dusk and in the early morning hours. Many believe the ghosts are reliving their raids of long ago.
Others report being followed and harassed by sinister shadow people who seem to be frighteningly sentient, as if watching the people who visit the ruins the way living, aware beings might. They are described as very dark, as they creep through the dense trees at dusk and climb on the rubble of the ruins as the sun begins to set.