This primitive cemetery was established around 1890 and was used by the early Marco Island settlers. According to the bronze marker, this was the typical internment practices of early Florida.
Homes have now been constructed over where the actual cemetery probably existed, and the entire site is private property. Research has turned up very little information on this cemetery, and no record remains as to how big it was or who was buried there. The only documents found simply state, “Early settlers and an unknown sea captain are buried here”.